Communication and language is one of the key areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), which is designed to aid development in the under fives and prepare them for school. This short, online course is tailored to educate childcare workers about this crucial subject.
What Will I Learn?
The course focuses on the importance of developing good communication skills in children and how we can support this by helping them build their confidence with language by modelling their conversation, listening to them and demonstrating that what they say is important and valued. Not only that, the course gives you the opportunity to reflect on how well you communicate with the children in your setting and how this can be improved.
How Does the Course Work?
All study takes place online, meaning you can choose a suitable time and place to give the course content your full attention. You will learn through activities, reading, presentations and videos, meaning the content is interesting and easy to apply to your real world setting.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Work through the lesson to gain new found expertise in communication in the EYFS.
- Learn about the benefits of instilling good communication skills in very young children.
- Explore how you can model good communication in children and the positive influence this will have.
- Discover how communication and language underpins all children’s learning.
- Read the informative texts How to Communicate with Children at Different Ages and Stages of Development and Supporting Children’s Speech, Language and Communication Development.
- Study the Communication Trust’s guide to stages of communication in children from birth to five years.
- In Talk Together by ICAN, gain insight into helping babies and very young children learn talking skills.
- Explore the relevant sections of the Department for Education documents Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage and Development Matters.
- Expand your knowledge by watching presentations on Supporting Communication and How to Talk so Children Listen and How to Listen so Children Talk.
- Move on to watching four videos in the series Through the Eyes of a Child on the Communication Trust website, with the option to read the accompanying guide for childcare workers and watch a further video.
- The extended learning section includes useful further reading and video options and suggests observation activities such as watching a group of children playing together.
- Complete the multiple choice assessment on Communication and the EYFS.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COMMUNICATION IN EYFS COURSE
- Technical support is on hand, should you encounter problems.
- The carefully balanced combination of reading material, presentations, videos, activities and opportunities for further study means all learning styles are catered for and study is fun, practical and engaging.
- Access to the course is for 12 months on signing up.
- Developing your skills by learning about communication with under fives won’t just make your work more fulfilling, it will also get you noticed by potential employers.
Prove your commitment to your career by signing up to Communication and the EYFS today.